Bladder Cancer

Home Forums CancerChat NZ Recently diagnosed Bladder Cancer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am currently residing in Sweden, was diagnosed with bladder cancer on September 12 2019, and am to undergo a radical cystectomy using laparoscopic and robot instruments on Thursday 19 March. The whole thing is freaking me out and as all visitors are banned from hospitals here due to the Covid19 I will be completely alone with only phone contact with my husband and video links with my family in New Zealand. I am terrified that something might go wrong and I won’t wake up as the Drs have said the operation will take all day. I guess I am just wondering what the recovery/rehab time will be or any other hints somebody may have for me that has already experienced this operation.

Keymaster

Hi and welcome to the CancerChatNZ forum,
    Thank you for posting – this sounds like a tough time for you and I imagine having no hospital visitors after your surgery will add to the very understandable stress.
    I hope you will receive some replies and tips from other here – in the meantime you may like to read the info from Cancer Research UK https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/bladder-cancer/treatment/invasive/surgery/after-surgery.
    The Swedish Cancer Society https://www.cancerfonden.se/has information and support services locally so may be useful too.
    Very best wishes for your surgery and recovery.
    Julie, Naena and Anna- Cancer Information Nurses and moderators

Keymaster

Hi again
    Another suggestion to try for tips and support is the Cancer Council Australia forum https://onlinecommunity.cancercouncil.com.au/ – they are similar to us in NZ but more people!
    Again, we wish you all the very best for your surgery.
    Julie

Participant

Well the radical cystectomy that I was supposed to have has today been postponed due to lack of intensive care places (should anything have gone wrong) and due to the Surgeons and equipment from Stockholm not being allowed to travel out of their province due to possibility of contagion of Covid 19. I am devastated, having “psyched” myself up for the operation and being told 3 hours before admission that it isn’t going to happen.
    Instead, they have told me that they are starting BCG therapy (Immunotherapy) on me from Monday and every Monday for 6 weeks to try and contain and prevent the cancer from invading my muscle wall(or anywhere else for that matter!) or the tumour in my urethra from progressing elsewhere. They have said that they will continue until they are able to go ahead with the operation. Does anybody have any experience with what the side-effects are of BCG treatment or how I may possibly avoid the worst of these? I try to walk 3 – 4 KM a day to keep myself as fit as I can.
    Grateful for any replies.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Positive SSL