Brachytherapy

Home Forums CancerChat NZ Recently diagnosed Brachytherapy

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Anna Anna 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Microbe
    Participant

I i had my first appointment with my radiation oncologist today (cervical cancer ). He gave me some brochures to read. I know the plan is to have external radiation, chemo and brachytherapy. I don’t think I can do the brachytherapy. The whole procedure, before during after is terrifying. Is it okay if I just do the external radiation and chemo? I really, really don’t want brachytherapy.

Anna
    Anna
    Keymaster

Hi Microbe,

Brachytherapy is a scary sounding concept and I understand that it could be completely off-putting. You do have a choice about what treatments you agree to, and can decline some. In saying that, it is very important to clearly know the difference that it would make to any chances of your cancer returning so that you make a choice with all the information available.

Is there something specific which worries you? Maybe talking with a nurse or a doctor about your concerns would help- these things can seem very clinical in a pamphlet and there will be care and support for you along any treatment process you go on to have.

Here at the Cancer Society, we can link you up with someone who has been through the same, if you felt a phone conversation with someone who had experienced it would be helpful. You are welcome to call and talk with our nurses on 0800 226237 about linking you up, or about anything else you might like to discuss.

Wishing you all the best, Anna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Positive SSL