Diffuse b cell lymphoma

Home Forums CancerChat NZ Recently diagnosed Diffuse b cell lymphoma

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lepercolony 2 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

family6
    Participant

Hi my husband has recently been diagnosed with diffuse b cell lymphoma, such a shock for all our famaily and any advice would be welcome, thank you. God bless.

JulieH
    JulieH
    Keymaster

Hi family6,
    Thanks very much for posting and welcome to Cancer Chat NZ. I’m sorry to hear of your husband’s diagnosis of lymphoma – it can certainly be a huge shock, affecting all the family. Diffuse B cell lymphoma is one of the most common types of lymphoma and is often treated with a combination of chemotherapy drugs. The NZ organisation Leukaemia and Blood Cancer has a booklet online about lymphoma – https://www.leukaemia.org.nz/content/uploads/2015/10/NHL-Non-Hodgkin-Lymphoma-Aug121.pdf. It can be helpful to talk to others who have had a similar diagnosis so hopefully you will get replies here or you could try the Cancer Connect service ph 0800 CANCER (226 237) a one-to-one telephone support service or your local Cancer Society may have support groups or counselling services they can put you in touch with. There is online information on supporting someone with cancer which may be useful too -https://wellington.cancernz.org.nz/mi/cancer-information/living-with-cancer/supporting-someone-with-cancer/

Best wishes,
    Julie, Information Nurse

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by JulieH JulieH.

lepercolony
    Participant

Hello dear writer at Family6,
    Non Hodgkins DLBCL is very survivable….take heart !!!
    I don’t know that I have any advice for you, but I will tell you of my own experience with Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma [ Diffuse Large B Cell ].
    I am a 64 year old male who underwent all the Chemo / radiation treatment and is now alive and well…3 year anniversary of remission will be in March 2017
    I was diagnosed in November 2013 with DLBCL…..tumour at base of tongue.{ Local GP called it “an infection ” -for 2 months – and gave me anti-biotics…hmm..m. }.
    We were absolutely floored that cancer had arrived…couldn’t believe it. I had led such a healthy life…never drank alcohol,never took drugs,a 40 year happy relationship,non-stressful self-employment,2 hours running or biking daily for 40 years,always ate nutritious, healthy food.
    All this was my personal ” health insurance policy “. But so often in life and with illness,there really is no rhyme or reason to what fate turns up for you.
    Underwent 4 rounds of chemo [ R-CHOP ] followed by 12 radiations to the throat….out of a scheduled 15.
    Lost 7kg of weight…I was a walking chemist shop :- morphine for pain,anti-nausea drugs,zopiclone for sleeping,Fleet enemas for constipation,potions for mouth sores,lidocaine for throat pain.
    After 5 months of this,recovery from the treatment was gradual but constant…hair slowly grew back [ curly….cancer-hair regrowth ! ],appetite returned , and my energy for life hit a new level somewhere out there in the stratosphere.I am alive !
    Currently I am on 3 monthly checkups with Haematologist for 5 years.

So how can you survive emotionally? : –
    Find a quiet place and cry…cry as much as you need to .
    I cried a river – the pain and shock was just overwhelming. I always felt just a tiny bit better after doing that.
    I read accounts/articles/books written by other sufferers { “Mortality”…Christopher Hitchens; ” C…Cowards Get Cancer Too “…John Diamond }
    I watched youtube postings of the accounts of others…this one was particularly inspiring…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzO2U0fJ0jM .
    {People have different cancers – but the inner struggle/pain is similar for all of us.]
    I found a site on Facebook for Non Hodgkins sufferers…and I didn’t feel so alone
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/244464095626112/
    You will find out who your friends are….you will be surprised at who turns up to help, and who stays away [ because they are terrified — I did not take it personally ].
    I went easy on myself and gave myself permission to let the normal obligations of life just slip away…to let my partner do what she so wanted to do to help…i.e. ” keep the ship afloat ”
    Lastly…and I guess that this really is a bit of advice :….take care of the carer…he /she needs nurturing too – they have the weight of many worlds on their shoulders.

This experience will change your life….you wont think so now…but it really is true for me.
    You can get through this.
    Good luck !

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Positive SSL