Do you have problems sleeping?

Home Forums CancerChat NZ Living with and beyond cancer Do you have problems sleeping?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Vivh 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JulieH
    JulieH
    Keymaster

Check the latest Nurses Blog for tips on improving your sleep.
    Julie

Jayne
    Participant

Hi
    Im trying to get into a routine of some sort but my sleeping pattern is so out, from when Im really sick that it has become normal. I have tried different drinks at night and I use sleeping tablets sometimes when my son is not home. Sometimes I get to sleep about 1am other times its 3 or later and I am up at 6.45am. Its like I can be really tired and the minute i hit my bed I am wide awake, some ideas would be great. Thanks

Vivh
    Participant

Hi Jayne
    Here are some ideas that I hope might help.
    Stick to a sleep schedule of the same bedtime and wake up time, even on the weekends. This helps to regulate your body’s clock and could help you fall asleep and stay asleep for the night.

Practice a relaxing bedtime ritual. A relaxing, routine activity right before bedtime conducted away from bright lights helps separate your sleep time from activities that can cause excitement, stress or anxiety which can make it more difficult to fall asleep, get sound and deep sleep or remain asleep.

Avoid naps, especially in the afternoon. Power napping may help you get through the day, but if you find that you can’t fall asleep at bedtime, eliminating even short catnaps may help.

Exercise daily. Even gentle exercise helps with sleep.

Evaluate your room. It helps if your bedroom is be cool. Your bedroom should also be free from any noise that can disturb your sleep, such as cellphones. Even the vibrate function can disturb sleep. Finally, your bedroom should be free from any light.

Let us know how you get on.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Positive SSL