Double Mastecomy and reconstruction

Home Forums CancerChat NZ Living with and beyond cancer Double Mastecomy and reconstruction

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  beenthere2 1 year ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

debbieshaw
    Participant

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has had a double mastectomy and reconstruction.
    Want I am really wondering is what is recovery like after reconstruction, i.e. was the pain worth it.
    I haven’t made up my mind yet to go ahead but would be really interested in hearing from others.
    Thank you.

Naena
    Naena
    Keymaster

Hi Debbie,
    If you don’t get a reply on Cancerchat.
    We do have a program Cancer Connect where we can link you up with a volunteer who has had a double mastectomy and reconstruction that you can talk to on the phone.
    If you would like to be connectedgive us a call on the Cancer society Helpline on
    0800CANCER ( 226 237) TALK TO ONE OF THE SUPPORT PEOPLE AND THEY CAN LINK YOU UP TO THIS SERVICE.

BEST WISHES,
    NAENA
    Cancer Information Nurse.

Neen
    Participant

Hi Debbie – I had a double mastectomy and reconstruction in 2015 and happy to chat about it. Is the pain worth it? Honestly I can’t really remember the pain now…so yes for me it was worth it… I still have surgerys coming to complete my rebuild but happy to feel as good as I can about myself. For me that meant reconstruction but for a lot of girls they are more happy with forgoing recon… it’s a very personal choice. But ask me anything if your interested.

Naena
    Naena
    Keymaster

Thank you for your post Neen.
    Also the kind offer to be there for questions for Debbie.

Nga Mihi,
    NAENA

debbieshaw
    Participant

Thanks so much for replying. Can I ask your age ? or vicinity of . I am 53 and have been advised that to even go on a waiting list my BMI is not ideal and need to loose 17kg, I am so mixed up about what to do, my husband is very supportive but in some ways in denial as yesterday I got some new prosthetics to try and some new bras, he wasn’t interested at all in even touching the prosthetic let alone see me in my new bras. When I put the prosthetic up against my chest it looked so lovely I just wanted it to be real breast tissue. So, I am faced with – 1. need to loose 17 kg by December, 2. Scared of the pain and possibility of on going surgeries ( I have had a lot of surgeries over the years) 3. A husband who says he will support me either way but wont touch my scarring or anywhere near the area,) As you can see I just don’t know what do do. Debbie.

beenthere2
    Participant

hi Debbie,

I am not sure how to go about this so I will just blurt it out. Many people with heaps of different health issues are using this Micronized Purple Rice. As you know our bodies are all different so we cannot say if this MPR will help you at all as we all eat many types of food. And of course not all are that good for us.

But I totally believe in this rice it has helped me in many different ways. So if interested do a search on the MPR and we can talk a bit later if you choose to.

All the best to you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Positive SSL