Help struggling with what to do

Home Forums CancerChat NZ Supporting someone with cancer Help struggling with what to do

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by JulieH JulieH 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

madale
    Participant

My Dad only 62yo has just been diagnosed with cancer. They have only found the secondary cancer so far. One week before receiving the news I had sold my house and was moving away. Now I dont know what to do, should I stay or go. My husbands mother is also sick that is why we were moving. My Dad says to go but I dont think he wants me too. Any advice would be much appreciated.

JulieH
    JulieH
    Keymaster

Hi and welcome to Cancer Chat NZ. I’m sorry to read of your dilemma – this must be a tough time for you. Does your Dad have other support close by? Sometimes it can help to find out more about the type of treatments he may be having and support services in place for him – perhaps with his permission you could go to a doctor’s appointment with him or arrange to contact his doctor to get an idea of what may be ahead for your Dad? Cancer Society offices around NZ have support staff you can talk things over with. Sometimes in situations like this counselling can be helpful to assist with decision-making, and learning coping strategies.
    You are really welcome to call the Cancer information nurses 0800 CANCER (226 237) or email us at info@cancersoc.org.nz
    Best wishes,
    Julie, Cancer Information Nurse

Anji Banji
    Participant

Having gone through supporting a loved one through cancer and the treatments required I can only advise that my partner needed all the support and love in the world when going through treatments. I could never have left him alone to deal with this he was a mentaly not coping he needed constant reassurance and support he needed me to stay positive for him and keep his spirits up..otherwise his dark thoughts would have enveloped him and taken him to some dark and scary places that is only the half of it physically he could not do much for himself and the chemo made him nauseous all day long cooking for him self was an impossibility .. I would not wish going through cancer with out loved ones around on my worst enemy….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Positive SSL