Prostate cancer

Home Forums CancerChat NZ Recently diagnosed Prostate cancer

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

My dad was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer and I’d appreciate some info/advice as I couldn’t be at the appt and his relaying of information wasn’t great. He gets regular blood tests done and in February 2020 he got notified that his PSA was sitting at 4. From February to November (last week ish) it raised from 4-6 and then to 12.5. He got called in for a biopsy and the results of that meant the doctors have said he’s to come back in for a full scan to see if its spread. Even before the scan has been done he has been offered either 7 weeks radiation or surgery to remove the prostate. Is any of this alarming or do i just have to wait for the scan appt ?

AnnaAnna
    Keymaster

Kia ora Maxt,
    Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear about your father’s recent diagnosis.
    Prostate cancer is diagnosed by the biopsy but the scan will show just where the prostate cancer is. If it is still only inside the prostate, then it is called early prostate cancer. It can be successfully treaded by either surgery or radiation. The scan will show if it started to grow a bit further than inside the prostate. If it has, an operation might not be the best treatment, but there are a lot of other treatments that can be offered to manage this condition. So yes, the full story is not clear until after the scan.
    Any cancer diagnosis can be rather alarming, but whatever stage your father is at, there will be treatment available and a support team to help him manage this.
    More information can be found on our website https://wellington.cancernz.org.nz/assets/Uploads/Prostate-Cancer-Web-Booklet.pdf or you are welcome to ring us nurses on 0800 CANCER(226237)
    Kind regards,
    Anna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Positive SSL